I (Matt) visited the choir rehearsal last Thursday as they prepped for their first Sunday with us on the platform. It was a great chance to encourage and hopefully inspire as we embark on the 8 month journey that is a Choir season at APC.
As staff leaders we are continually praying and preparing for each of the teams that are a part of CreativeAPC to have effective ministry through preparation both spiritually and practically. No matter how long we’ve been serving in the same role, there is always room for us to improve on both fronts.
So I put together this list of questions specifically for our choir led by Natalie Stewart that I felt would be at least a good starting place for each of us to see where we can grow in the effectiveness for our ministry. I hope you’ll be able to translate it to your context and see the potential you have to step up your game too:
- Will you set aside the time necessary to personally prepare the songs you sing with excellence?
- Will you pray for the community you belong to; including other choir members, your leader Natalie and your church family?
- Will you do your best to deepen your relationship with God, surrendering fresh areas of your life to Him?
- Will you handle any disappointment, correction, disagreement or misunderstanding biblically with grace and love, in honour, preferring one another and as far as it depends upon you living at peace with each other?
- Will you be attentive and accountable for the times and responsibilities you have agreed to as a member of the choir (see your handbook for some of these if you’re not sure!)?
- Will you stoke the fire of your own perseverance even six and seven months from now so your level of commitment will not waiver?
- Will you decide to be outgoing and free with encouragement and support, expecting the best from your team members?
- Will you do your very best, even though it’s nearly impossible, to out-smile your leader, Natalie?Well then I promise you, from my past experience, this will be a season of effective ministry. Whether you are helping lead our congregation in a simple chorus or you are singing a challenging choir piece - your commitment to effective ministry will give God the space to make a difference. And as long as you demonstrate effective ministry as a team, God will continue to use the APC choir to make a difference.